Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Out of Context Scripture

My old and I mean old...(nah he's not that old) Pastor Reggie Weems (Heritage Baptist Church, Johnson City, TN) got me to thinking (which is hard to do) at one of his services that my wife and I attended. Now because of that service I have a beef with some pastors, lay persons, and casual believers. It is the fact that so many people are taking words and scripture completely out of context. They will take scripture and make it say what they want to say. For instance, Reggie (by the way he didn't misuse this scripture, he was making a minor point, which was part of a larger point of emphasis)used Jesus' message out of John 8:31-32 to make his point. The main point in that scripture which most believers take out of context is in verse 32. It says "you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Most people when asked about this scripture think it means truth, as in not telling a lie. Most adults to include Christian adults believe this as fact also. (don't believe me, try it with some christian adults you know) We know that Jesus is the truth, and to believe in him will set you free from the sin that he mentions later in the chapter. It has nothing to do with telling a lie. Nothing at all.

Another one is spare the rod and spoil the child. This is another piece of Scripture usually taken completely out of context. Some parents think that we have to beat our children, and some actually use rods and switch's to deliver the discipline and then use scripture to get approval for it. Now I'm not advocating not to use spankings, it's just probably not appropriate to deliver it with a rod, if you know what I mean. But, the rod is metaphoric here; the writer is not advocating using a rod to discipline. He means that discipline is needed, when he talks about the rod of discipline. We are to use discipline wisely and when needed or we will spoil the child.

Another case I saw first hand when a young lady in our youth group was told by her boyfriend that she was to submit to him in all things. I said..REALLLLLY. Hmmmm lets look at scripture to see what it says. Ephesians 5:22 starts off with Wives. LOL...I said, hmmm are you a wife. She said "no." I said well then that doesn't cover you does it. I did go on and explain the context of the scripture, but the point again is that someone was being foolish with scripture and they were trying to manipulate a young lady with it. This to me is ungodly.

We as believers need to make sure that we don't take scripture out of it's context. A general rule that I learned was that we are to to read what is in front of the said piece of scripture, and then read what is after the said piece of scripture. This will allow you to have a better opportunity of understanding the scripture. However, nothing is understandable without the Holy Spirit's help. We can only understand what he allows us to understand. We should also be in prayer constantly as we read the Holy Scriptures. This brings our relationship with God so much closer and as we are closer to the Holy One, we understand him more and more. I've seen this in my own walk where I've looked at certain scriptures and I just didn't get it. I've come back years later and after a much closer walk in prayer and life committed to him; I was able to truly understand the same passages that seemed like literal Greek or Hebrew just a few years ago.

So to all believers; I encourage you to stay in prayer and stay in the scripture so that you may understand what he is saying. God's meaning is only one, not many, so don't believe that each piece of scripture may mean something to you and something different for me. Scripture means the same, we may use it differently in our life, but God only has one meaning for his word.

Stay in Prayer. Stay in Prayer. Stay in Prayer.

UPDATE

See what I'm talking about. Check this article out here. It even permeates our politics.

(HT: Hot Air)