Friday, January 11, 2008

Where are the Godly men.

I was speaking to a friend last night and he asked me to pray for a family he knew. Apparently the Husband left his wife and two young children. Allegations of a affair and drug or alcohol abuse were made. As we spoke my mind kept drifting to "where are all the men". What is going on in a society that claims Christ, but rips his heart out in their actions. I won't say this is a trend and I won't say I know something different than you, but it sure does seem like this is playing out constantly in our country and tragically in our Churches. I know of at least 5 couples that have gone through this, and I'm in the Church at least 2-3 times a week. How many of our brothers and sisters out of the Church see this. When I say 5 couples, I say 5 church going couples. Couples with children, couples that made a commitment before God, couples that loved God and couples that supposedly loved each other at one time.

Where is the Ephesians chapter 5 in those lives. You know like Eph 5:8 "for you were once in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord, Walk as children of light". Or what about Eph 5:17 " Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is", which is referring back the earlier part of Eph 5. Let us not forget the strongest part of Ephesians, Eph 5:25 "Husbands, love your wifes, just as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for her," and verse 22 "Wifes, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord".

Husbands (you and I), do we love (Agapao) our wives this way. Do we deny ourselves to take up her, or do we continue to love her selfishly the way we married her. You know, she made you happy, you loved being around her, she made you laugh....we love selfishly and married selfishly. Husbands, I challenge you to move to the next level. Love her just because, love her because of what scripture says, love her because of your commitment to God. Live to a higher calling. May God be with us as we try to love like him. The last verse in Matthew chapter 5 says "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect". Please commit to doing the best for your family, and may we aspire to live perfect like our father in heaven.

No comments: